Castor and Pollux Organix® Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe
To get more information on Castor & Pollux dog food, the company, and recall history, go to the Castor & Pollux Dog Food Review page. Or, to read reviews of other dry dog foods, find it at the Dry Dog Food Review page.
From the Castor and Pollux Website:
Organic, free-range chicken is the #1 ingredient in our ORGANIX Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe. We build on that foundation by adding organic brown rice and fresh organic fruit and vegetable purées that provide natural sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. But we’re over-achievers, so we don’t stop there.
ORGANIX Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe also includes:
- Organic Quinoa - a nutrient-rich heritage grain that provides a gluten-free source of dietary fiber
- Organic Flaxseed - rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids that contribute to healthy skin and coat
- Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition for your adult dog
Our organic ingredients are produced without chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, artificial preservatives, added growth hormones or antibiotics. And, our formula contains no corn, wheat, or soy. In other words, we use only the good stuff, none of the bad.
- Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Peas, Organic Barley, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Organic Millet, Organic Pea Protein, Organic Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Salmon Meal, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Broccoli, Organic Pumpkin, Organic Pears, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract.
- Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 27.00%
Crude Fat (min) 14.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 5.00%
Moisture (max.) 10.00%
Calcium (min) 1.00%
Phosporus (min) 0.80%
Vitamin E (min) 75 IU/KG
Glucosamine (min) 1200 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate (min) 1200 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min)* 2.50%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min)* 0.35%
* not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Nutrient Profiles
The main ingredients
Organic Chicken is the first ingredient, which means this formula contains more chicken than any other ingredient. Chicken contains a lot of water (between 80 and 90%), which is lost during the cooking process, so after processing this chicken may actually represent a smaller part of the total content. Chicken is a good protein source, as well as containing Vitamin B6, Phosphorus, Niacin, and Selenium. Chicken also contains fatty acids
The next ingredient is Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is concentrated, and contains around 300% the protein of fresh chicken.
The third ingredient is Organic Peas. Peas provide a good supply of protein and dietary fiber. They also are a natural source for vitamins C and K. However, some dogs experience problems digesting peas because of the fibrous cellulose contained in the peas.
The fourth ingredient is Organic Barley. Barley is a good carb source, which is absorbed slowly in the intenstinal tracts, helping keep blood sugar levels even.
The fifth ingredient is Organic Brown Rice. Brown rice is a cereal grain often used in place of corn. Brown rice is higher in fiber than white rice, and less processed. It can also be a little more irritating to the stomach than white rice. It's a simple carbohydrate that can give dogs quick energy. Used in conjunction with more complex carbs in a dog food, brown rice is a good ingredient
Other ingredients of note in Castor and Pollux Organix® Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe
Millet: Millet is a gluten-free grain from certain seed grasses. It is rich in the B-complex vitamins, as well as fiber and other essential minerals.
Salmon meal: Salmon meal is a highly digestible protein source produced by cooking salmon at high temperatures, extracting the fat, and drying the remaining meat. Salmon Meal is considered a meat concentrate,so contains up to 4 times the protein of salmon.
Chelated minerals: Chelated minerals are those minerals that are chemically attached to protein, which makes them about 20% more readily absorbed. Chelated minerals are typically associated with higher quality dog foods.
Fermentation products: Fermentation products contain probiotics which will grow in the dogs digestive tract and assist in the digestion process.
So is it a good dog food?
For comparison, the guaranteed analyses is converted from an as fed bases to a dry matter bases. This results in this dog food containing approximately 30% protein and 16% fat. Again, using the dry matter bases we can calculate an carbohydrate content of 46% and a fat to protein ratio of 53%.
This shows Castor and Pollux Organix® Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe contains above average protein, near average fat, and near average carbohydrate content.
So, the bottom line is that Castor and Pollux Organix® Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe is an above average dry dog food, with a moderate amount of meat.
Castor and Pollux Organix® Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe receives four and a half stars and is highly recommended.
This is your chance to add your feedback. Is your dog currently eating Castor and Pollux dog food? Have you noticed any changes in your dog since you started feeding Castor and Pollux? Have any further questions not answered here? Let us know your thoughts.