Castor and Pollux
Castor and Pollux dog food discussion and overall rating
Castor and Pollux dog food is made by Merrick Pet Care, located in Hereford, Texas. All dry dog food formulas are made in their own manufacturing facility in Hereford. These manufacturing facilities received a Safe Quality Food (SQF) Level 3 certification in 2013, meaning it completed a successful food safety audit by the Safe Quality Food Institute. They received an audit rating of Excellent.
There have been no recent recalls on Castor and Pollux dog food products. However, Merrick Pet Care has had several, inclucing:
- January 14, 2010 - Merrick Beef Filet Squares Dog Treats recalled due to possible Salmonella contamination. A similar recall occured later that year, on July 2.
- August 3, 2010 and August 13, 2010- Merrick Texas Hold’ems and Filet Squares recalled due to possible Salmonella contamination.
- January 28, 2011 - Merrick Jr. Texas Taffy pet treats recalled due to possible Salmonella contamination.
- August 8, 2011 - Merrick Doggie Wishbone pet treat recalled due to possible Salmonella contamination.
Ethoxyquin may be a concern to some potential customers, since ethoxyquin can cause damage to your dogs liver. Nothing can be found on either the Castor and Pollux website or the Merrick Pet Care website reguarding ethoxyquin. However, Merrick Petcare has been certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program, which prohibits the use of ethoxyquin.
Castor and Pollux product list
The following varieties of dog food are provided by Castor and Pollux. Click on the link to read the review.
Castor and Pollux Organix
- Organix Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe
- Organix Healthy Weight Recipe
- Organix Grain Free Chicken and Potato Recipe
- Organix Grain Free Lamb and Peas Recipe
- Organix Grain Free Salmon and Peas Recipe
- Organix Grain Free Small Breed Recipe
- Organix Grain Free Large Breed Recipe
- Organix Free Range Recipe with Raw Bites
Castor and Pollux Natural Ultramix
- Grain-Free Real Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe
- Grain-Free Duck, Sweet Potato and Whole Peas Entree
- Grain-Free and Poultry Free Recipe
- Grain Free Red Meat Recipe with Raw Bites
This is your chance to add your feedback. Is your dog currently eating >Castor and Pollux dog food? Have you noticed any changes in your dog since you started feeding >Castor and Pollux? Have any further questions not answered here? Let us know your thoughts.