Best Friend's Friend - Best Dog Shelter or Rescue Contest
Man's Best Friend, and Some Startling Stats
The dog is truly "Man's Best Friend"! Their eyes show their undying love for you. Their antics while playing show they want nothing else but to be with you. Their licks attempt to console you when you are feeling low.
And all they ask in return is your love, your occasional attention, and a tiny bit of food and water.
Despite all the benefits of dog ownership, there are these startling statistics:
- Less than 50% of all dogs stay with the same family their entire life. The remaining dogs are either given away to another family, surrendered to a shelter or pound, or just abandoned!
- Approximately 4 million dogs arrive in a pound, rescue, or shelter every year. Unfortunately, the US does not keep actual statistics on this, so the number can be much higher.
- While polls show that 78% of dog owners claim that their dogs are spayed or neutered, only 10% of those dogs that end up in a shelter/rescue/pound were actually spayed or neutered before they arrived.
- About 60% of the dogs entering a shelter/rescue/pound wind up being euthanized. That means 2.4 million dogs a year are killed needlessly, or 45 dogs every 10 minutes!
- Municipally run (or taxpayer funded) dog pounds typically have a much higher kill rate, at a cost to taxpayers of over $2 Billion.
- Privately run shelters and rescues are much more successful in adopting these abandoned dogs out to loving families, but they can only do what they can afford to do, with most of them relying on the generosity of fellow dog lovers like you and me.
Enter the "Best Friend's Friend" Contest!
Dog Nation suffers with all of you given the statistics above, and has decided to do some small thing about it! We want to help some well deserving dog rescue or dog shelter out a little, and perhaps save a few more dogs' lives in the process!
But rather than just selecting a few neighboring shelters/rescues (from here on out we will just use shelters to mean both), we have decided to leave it up to you, our dear readers, to select the top three shelters in the US. Thank all of you for making last year's contest a success! We are proud to continue the contest this year. The cash prizes are now linked to revenue generated by this site, and are considered minimum. As the DogNation.net site becomes more popular, the prizes will grow (I have personnaly commited to putting 10% of net revenue into this contest).
Starting on October 1, nominations will be open for you to suggest your own favorite shelter as being worthy of the distinction of being the "Best Friend's Friend" for 2016. Simply fill out the form (link will be provided at the top of this page when nominations are open) and confirm your nomination, and perhaps your shelter will win! Nominations will automatically close at midnight eastern time on December 31.
Voting will begin January 1 and continue until the last day of February. You can vote one time every day that voting is open. Make sure you tell all your friends and get them to help you too! Again, a link will be provided at the top of this page when the voting period is open.
So what do the winners receive, and is there anything in it for you? Let us answer the second question first. For whoever nominates one of the top three shelters (winning nomination in case of duplicated shelters) the donation made by Dog Nation will be in their name.
Prizes that will be awarded to the top three shelters are:
- First place will receive the gold medal depicted above. They will have the opportunity to display this medal on their own website, displaying their recognition as the top shelter in the US. They will receive a permanent link from us on every page of this site (on the right sidebar) as well as one in our historic winners page. But the most important thing they will win, by far, is a donation of $500 to help them help others.
- Second place will receive a silver medal similar to the gold for display on their site. They will also receive a permanent link on our historic winners page. And finally and more importantly, they will receive a donation of $300 for their continued efforts.
- Third place receives a bronze medal, permanent link on the historic winners page, and a donation of $100 to show our confidence in them.
And So the Contest Begins!
So there you have it. We definitely are pumped up to sponsor this contest, and hope you all are eager to help your local shelter out.
Who will join the Sighthound Underground (SHUG) and Animal Aid for Vermilion Area (AAVA) as winners of the Best Friend's Friend contest? It is totally up to you!
Please tell all your friends about this contest and urge them to either nominate or vote themselves. And let us know what we are doing right and how we can improve this contest in the comment space below.
Thank you, Wendy
1st place goes to The Sighthound Underground, located in McLean, VA. Nominated by Wendy Scarborough.
2nd place is Friends of Homeless Animals, in Providence, RI. Nominated by Kimberley Paderson.
3rd place is Great Lakes Boxer Rescue in Lake Ann, MI. Nominated by Lisa Michelle.
Thanks to everyone who nominated and who voted for making this 2nd annual contest successful. Looking forward to October and the start of yet another!
Thank You for the opportunity.